Farm News (10/6/15)
Important Reminders & Announcements:
- This is the FINAL WEEK for summer vegetables and fruit.
- This is a vegetable and fruit week for full and half-share members.
- Next week we will be delivering fall vegetables for full share members only. Half share members will pick up fall vegetables the following week.The first delivery of fall eggs, dairy and meat will be the week of 10/19.
- We will send out an email tomorrow regarding the start of the fall season. The email will contain a link to our fall pickup site lists. Please check to make sure that we've got you down for the correct shares at the correct site.
- Registration is now open for 2016 shares. Use discount code renew to save 5% on the weekly fruit share and/or the weekly 3-season vegetable package (spring, summer & fall).
This Week's Vegetable Share (full & half shares):
- Crimini or White Button Mushrooms (from River Valley Ranch)
- Head Lettuce
- Yellow or Red Potatoes
- Fresh Ginger
- Red Onions
- Green Peppers and/or Sweet Red & Orange Peppers
This Week's Fruit Share (full & half shares):
- Cortland Apples
- Mutsu Apples
- Gala Apples
This Week's Dairy Share:
- Chevre (fresh goat cheese) from La Clare Farms
- 'Saxon', an Alpine-Style Cheese from Saxon Creamery
- Plain Greek Yogurt & Raspberry Yogurt from Sugar River Dairy
Notes from the Farm Kitchen
Turkish Yogurt & Spinach Dip
8 ounces fresh spinach, roughly chopped
1 bunch arugula, roughly chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely minced
Salt to taste
1 tablespoon lemon juice (more to taste)
2 to 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 cups Greek yogurt
1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
Bring a large pot of generously salted water to a boil. Fill a bowl with ice water. When the water comes to a boil, add the spinach and arugula and blanch for 10 seconds. Transfer to the ice water, cool for a minute, then drain and squeeze dry.
Combine garlic with the lemon juice and olive oil, and let stand for 10 minutes. Stir in the yogurt. In a medium bowl, combine the greens, the yogurt mixture and the onion. Add freshly ground pepper to taste and more salt if desired. Serve with bread, pita or raw vegetables. (FYI, kohlrabi works great with this dip. Peel kohlrabi and slice into sticks.)
Sesame Spinach with Fresh Ginger
1 garlic clove, minced
2 teaspoons sesame seeds
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 teaspoon grated peeled fresh ginger
10-12 ounces fresh spinach
In a small dry skillet, toast sesame seeds over moderate heat, stirring, until golden. In a medium pot, heat oil over moderate heat until hot but not smoking and cook garlic and ginger, stirring, 30 seconds, or until fragrant and golden. Add spinach by handfuls, stirring, and cook until just wilted. Serve spinach sprinkled with sesame seeds.
Spinach & Apple Grilled Cheese
8 slices whole grain bread
Dijon mustard to taste
2 cups grated cheese (Saxon or similar Alpine-style)
4 ounces spinach leaves
1 sweet-tart apple (Mutsu or similar) thinly sliced
salt and freshly ground pepper
1 ounces butter, room temperature
Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Cook sandwiches, butter side down, pressing firmly, until underside is toasted , about 2 minutes. Flip sandwiches and cook until second side is toasted and cheese is melted, about 2 minutes.
Next Week's Harvest (our best guess)... sweet potatoes, leeks, carrots, garlic, lettuce, parsley, shallots, spaghetti squash and more!
- Margaret Sheaffer