Farm News (10/29/13)
The Vegetable Share
- German Butterball Potatoes
- Head Lettuce
- Tomato Puree
|A sneak peak into this week's vegetable box--On the top you see gorgeous head lettuce, spinach, radishes, and shallots.|
The Dairy Share:
- Fresh Goat Milk Chevre from LaClare Farms
- "Peace of Pasture" Cheese from Pastureland Co-op
- Strawberry Yogurt from Sugar River Dairy
- Harvest Butter from Nordic Creamery
|One of LaClare Farms' beautiful milk goats|
Announcements and Reminders
- The next dairy, meat and trout deliveries will be the week of November 12-14. Weekly distribution of the vegetables will continue through the week of November 19th.
- CSA Shares for 2014 are now available. Register by November 15th and receive early bird pricing on 3-Season Vegetable Shares and Fruit Shares. Registering online is easy and you can pay for your shares in up to 5 installments throughout the season.
Farm JournalAfter a couple of weeks of steadily falling temperatures, this week has brought slightly warmer weather. This is not a bad thing since, here at the Brodhead farm, we still have a fair amount of potatoes and sweet potatoes yet to harvest. Kids across the state were out of school last Thursday and Friday, so our kids (and their cousins) found themselves roped into the potato harvest Friday afternoon. They were surprisingly efficient helpers and even admitted to having some fun along the way. It's a great thing to be able to work together as a family, especially when we get to sit down to a meal and enjoy the fruits of our labor! I hope you enjoy your German Butterball potatoes this week and all the other vegetables that our families and our employees have worked so hard to produce.
Have a good week! --Peg
In the Farm Kitchen: Tips & Recipes for Making the Most of Your Share
|Here's Jen with some of our purple kohlrabi. She's been working hard to prepare this week's vegetable boxes despite a fractured ankle. (The chickens laid a trap for her, but if you want to know the whole story you'll have to ask her!)|
Place kohlrabi and radish matchsticks in a large bowl with shallot, lime zest and orange zest. Whisk dressing ingredients together in a small bowl. Toss with matchsticks. Just prior to serving, mix in the arugula so it stays crisp.
Next Week's Harvest (our best guess)...butternut squash, spinach, Napa cabbage, parsley, carrots, kale, fennel, broccoli and more!
- Margaret Sheaffer